South Coast delegation visiting the Azores to report on trade mission Feb. 25 at UMass Dartmouth
Strengthening the educational, cultural and economic ties between the South Coast and the Azores
Members of the delegation participating in the upcoming South Coast trade mission to the Azores will report on the trip following their return to the U.S. at a press conference scheduled for Monday, February 25 at 9 a.m. in Board Room of the Foster Administration Building at UMass Dartmouth.
The participants in the press conference will include Congressman Barney Frank, State Sen. Marc Pacheco, D-Taunton; State Rep. Michael Rodrigues, D-Westport; State Rep. Antonio Cabral, D-New Bedford; UMass Dartmouth Chancellor Jean MacCormack; Bristol Community College President Jack Sbrega; and Fall River Business leader Fernando Garcia. The February 15-22 trade mission is designed to strengthen educational, cultural and economic ties between the South Coast and islands.
Among the activities planned for the mission are:
- Meetings with top Azorean officials including President Cesar to discuss potential partnerships with southeastern Massachusetts and UMass Dartmouth.
- Meetings with leaders of the University of the Azores focusing on potential collaborations.
- A major conference focusing on the challenges and opportunities in the following areas: Energy and Environment, Agriculture and Fisheries, Tourism, and Health Care.
- Visits to the U.S. air base on the island of Terceira; the Azorean Regional Assembly, the islands' legislative body; the University of the Azores Fisheries and Oceanography Department, and the islands' geothermic power station.
- A commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Capelinhos Volcano eruption which touched off a major immigration movement from the islands to America.
Author: "John Hoey"
News & Public Information
You can find this article at: