UMass Karam Scholars Announced
Fall River's Robert Karam (UMass Dartmouth '67) Invests in Opportunity for Students
UMass Dartmouth has announced the recipients of the 2009/2010 Robert S. Karam Scholarships for students who are attending UMass campuses. The scholarship is named for former UMass Board of Trustees Chairman and UMass Dartmouth alumnus Robert Karam, who credits his college education with helping to launch a highly successful business career and active civic life.
"Growing up in a working class Fall River, a college education was a dream for kids like me,'' Mr. Karam said. "UMass Dartmouth gave me and countless others an opportunity to achieve that dream, and now it makes me and my family very happy to play a part in making that dream come true for others. I want to urge all of my fellow UMass alumni to consider what their college education has meant to them, and return the favor to the next generation as soon as possible. It is especially important this year when working families are under financial stress."
To be eligible for the scholarship, students must have graduated from Durfee High School in Fall River or be of Lebanese descent like Mr. Karam.
This year's recipients include:
* Nicole Sousa, a Durfee High School graduate and UMass Dartmouth class of 2010 business major. Nicole is the first in her family to attend college and wants to earn MBA and teach at community college.
* Karen Carreiro, a graduate of Durfee High School and UMass Dartmouth class of 2011 accounting major, Karen started working at age 16 at a coffee shop to finance her education.
* Samuel Cordeiro, graduate of Durfee High School and a UMass Dartmouth class of 2011 finance and accounting major, is a first generation college student who works two part-time jobs and is active with campus activities.
* George Abdo, UMass Lowell class of 2010 business major, was born in Lebanon and moved to the U.S. with family in 1995 to escape violence. Now living in Tyngsboro with his parents and sister, he has worked at a convenience store and bank full-time to help finance his education and looks forward to earning an MBA after he graduates.
* Sarah Benjamin, a graduate of Durfee High School and a UMass Amherst class of 2010 pre-veterinary medicine major, Sarah has been interested in science and animals since she was a young child. She aspires to attend veterinary school.
* Timothy Martin, a Durfee High School graduate and UMass Amherst class of 2013 business major, works at the Fall River Country Club and wants to be financially secure so he can give back to community.
* Patrick Chahwan, UMass Boston class of 2011 bio-chemistry major, came to the U.S. three years ago from Lebanon. He works full-time at a car dealership and in internet sales to finance college. He aspires to attend dental school.
* Fawzi Nicolas, UMass Boston class of 2011 English major, was born in Lebanon and moved to Boston 2001. He has had a lifelong dream to be a writer and wants to earn an MFA in creative writing.
Author: "John Hoey"
You can find this article at: