The UMass Dartmouth Peer Health Educators were awarded "Outstanding Peer Education Group" for the New England area at a recent annual meeting of the BACCHUS Network (www.bacchusnetwork.org), a national non-profit organization that actively promotes student leadership on healthy and safe lifestyle decisions. Kelly Ann Boehm (UMass Dartmouth College of Nursing ,'10) was also named "Outstanding Peer Educator Alumnus-Area 10 (New England)".
The Outstanding Peer Education Group award is granted to "a peer education group which shows commitment to impacting their campus community, accepts growth and leadership opportunities, works effectively as a team, collaborates well with campus groups and organizations, and demonstrates passion, creativity, and follow-through in activities." The Outstanding Alumnus award is granted to an alumnus who has "contributed to their community through their work or philanthropy and has served as a positive role model to BACCHUS."
The award continues a string of honors for the UMass Dartmouth Peer Health Education Program. UMass Dartmouth Coordinator of Health Education and Promotion Beth-Anne Vieira, who leads campus efforts to train students to help their peers live healthy lives, was named "Outstanding Advisor" for the New England area in 2010. In 2009, the UMass Dartmouth Peer Health Educators received the Outstanding Peer Education Group-Area 10 (New England), and George Henry Aulson IV (UMass Dartmouth College of Nursing, '08) received Outstanding Alumnus-Area 10 (New England).
The UMass Dartmouth Peer Health Educators are student leaders who are recruited and trained to: provide the UMass Dartmouth student community with educational, interactive programs on health issues; raise awareness about health and wellness; refer students to appropriate resources; and, advocate for policy, procedural, and environmental changes that support the health and well-being of the campus community. Additional information regarding the UMass Dartmouth Peer Health Education Program is available at http://www.umassd.edu/livewell/whatwedo/peerhealtheducation/.
The UMass Dartmouth Peer Health Educators are:
* Corey Arenz, Marketing Major, Class of 2011
* Jaime Conlon, Nursing Major, Class of 2011
* Chris Dinan, Political Science Major, Class of 2011
* Drew Fosdick, Marketing Major, Class of 2013
* Tim Greene, Marketing Major, Class of 2013
* Mikayla Harris, Psychology Major, Class of 2012
* Hannah LaPlante, Psychology Major, Class of 2012
* Racheal Muir, Nursing Major, Class of 2011
* Angela Pagliuca, Nursing Major, Class of 2011
* Mark Realbuto, Finance Major, Class of 2011
* Katie Scanlon, Nursing Major, Class of 2011
* Rachael Simms, Sociology Major, Class of 2012
* Sheila Tsiakalos, Medical Laboratory Science/Pre-Med Major, Class of 2013
* Sheldon Vigeant, Art Education Major, Class of 2012
The BACCHUS Network represents more than 32,000 student leaders and advisors on more than 900 campuses, which are organized into 12 regional areas. Seventy-four peer education programs at 62 colleges and universities are represented by Area 10 (New England ).
Pictured are the UMass Dartmouth Peer Health Educators