Press Release: South Coast delegation visiting the Azores to report on trade mission Feb. 25 at UMass Dartmouth
Date: February 14, 2008
Department: News & Public Information
The participants in the press conference will include Congressman Barney Frank, State Sen. Marc Pacheco, D-Taunton; State Rep. Michael Rodrigues, D-Westport; State Rep. Antonio Cabral, D-New Bedford; UMass Dartmouth Chancellor Jean MacCormack; Bristol Community College President Jack Sbrega; and Fall River Business leader Fernando Garcia. The February 15-22 trade mission is designed to strengthen educational, cultural and economic ties between the South Coast and islands.
Among the activities planned for the mission are:
- Meetings with top Azorean officials including President Cesar to discuss potential partnerships with southeastern Massachusetts and UMass Dartmouth.
- Meetings with leaders of the University of the Azores focusing on potential collaborations.
- A major conference focusing on the challenges and opportunities in the following areas: Energy and Environment, Agriculture and Fisheries, Tourism, and Health Care.
- Visits to the U.S. air base on the island of Terceira; the Azorean Regional Assembly, the islands' legislative body; the University of the Azores Fisheries and Oceanography Department, and the islands' geothermic power station.
- A commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Capelinhos Volcano eruption which touched off a major immigration movement from the islands to America.