Go to main content | Go to navigation |
Turn styles on
View: Text-Only | Mobile
About the College of Engineering
Departments & Programs
Intercampus Graduate Programs
Five-Year Joint B.S./M.S. Programs
Recent Research Grants
- "Development of Micro Tensile Tester Operated in Atomic Force Microscopy" sponsored by the National Science Foundation led by Vijaya Chalivendra, Mechanical Engineering. (Awarded: $27,799 - Project period: 4/1/10 to 3/31/11)
- "Partial Underwriting for 2009 IEEE Underwater Acoustic Signal Processing" sponsored by the Office of Naval Research led by John Buck, Electrical & Computer Engineering. (Awarded: $5,000 - Project period: 10/1/09 to 9/30/10)
- "Mix Designs for Warm Mix Asphalt Technologies" sponsored by Advanced Asphalt Technologies led by Walaa Mogawer, Civil & Environmental Engineering. (Awarded: $48,049 - Project period: 1/1/09 to 5/31/10)
- "Integrated Transportation Payment Systems: Principles, Concepts, and Applications" sponsored by UMass Amherst, primary sponsor being the U.S. Dept. of Transportation led by Marguerite Zarrillo, Physics. (Awarded: $5,550 - Project period: 9/1/09 to 7/31/11)
- "Interfacial Adhesion between Polymer Substrates and Osteoconductive Minerals" for UMass Worcester led by Nima Rahbar, Civil & Environmental Engineering. (Awarded $75,000 - Project period: 11/1/09 to 10/31/11)
- "Sustainability Library Resource Corners" sponsored by the Southeastern Environmental Education Alliance led by Susan Jennings, Office of Campus & Community Sustainability. (Awarded $850 - Project period: 11/23/09 to 11/22/10)
- "Experimental Study of Oil-Brine Mixing in the Strategic Petroleum Reserve" for Sandia National Laboratories awarded to Peter Friedman, Mechanical Engineering.
(Awarded $79,680 - Project period: 10/22/09 to 12/31/10)
- "NETC Research Study 03-6: Fix it First Utilizing the Seismic Property Analyzer and MMLS to Develop Guidelines for the Use of Polymer Modified Thin HMA vx. Surface Treatments" sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration led by Walaa Mogawer, Civil & Environmental Engineering.
(Awarded $45,842 - Project period: 10/1/09 to 9/30/11)
- "High Throughout Point-of-Care/In-Vitro Diagnostics Platform" for the U.S. Small Business Administration led by David Rancour, Electrical & Computer Engineering.
(Awarded $247,000 - Project period: 9/30/09 to 9/29/10)
- "Alternative Technologies for Numerical Relativity and Ligo Data-Analysis" for the National Science Foundation led by Gaurav Khanna, Physics. (Awarded: $160,560 - Project period: 9/15/09 to 8/31/11)
- "STTR Phase 1: Co-extruded Electroded Fiber Sensors and Actuators" sponsored by the Engineered Yarns Company led by Paul Calvert, Materials & Textiles. (Awarded: $45,500 - Project period: 9/1/09 to 6/30/10)
- "Pavement Rehabilitation Strategies for Ramps at Airports with Commercial Service Primary Service Levels" for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) led by Walaa Mogawer, Civil and Environmental Engineering. (Awarded: $42,999.77 - Project period: 6/18/09 to 6/17/10)
- "Sustainability Teacher Training and Community Training" for the Southeastern Environmental Ed Alliance led by Susan Jennings, Office of Campus & Community Sustainability.
(Awarded $5,000 - Project period: 5/22/09 to 11/21/09)
- "Summer Support of Graduate Student to Extend Scope of MS Thesis" for the Foundational Questions Institute (FXQi), Mini-Grant awarded to Gaurav Khanna, Physics Department.
(Awarded $3,750 - Project period: 6/1/09 to 5/31/10)
- "Weaving the Rainbow: Pathways to the Sciences" sponsored by the President's Creative Economy Fund, led by Grant O'Rielly, Physics Department.
(Awarded $39,000 - Project period: 9/1/09 to 8/31/10)
- "Developing Green Jobs and Career Paths: The University of Massachusetts as a Leader in Growing the Green Economy" sponsored by the President's Creative Economy Fund, led by Susan Jennings, Office of Campus & Community Sustainability. (Awarded: $15,000 - Project period: 7/1/09 to 6/30/10)
- "Spatial Compressive Sensing for Passive Sonar" sponsored by the Chancellor's Research Fund and UMass Joseph Healey Endowment, led by Igor Bilik, Electrical & Computer Engineering.
(Awarded $8,000 - Project period: 7/1/09 to 6/30/10)
- Walaa Mogawer from Civil & Environmental Engineering was awarded $100,000 on his proposal "Continued Operation of the Mass Highway Pavement Profiler Certification Sites" from Mass Highway. Award period: 2/25/09 to 12/31/09.
- Vijaya Chalivendra from Mechanical Engineering was awarded $134,838 on his proposal "Collab. Research: Mechanical and Electrical Response of Novel Polymer Grafted CNT Reinforced Copolymer under Quasi-static and Dynamic Loading" from the National Science Foundation. Award period: 6/1/09 to 5/31/12.
- Ramprasad Balasubramanian from Computer & Information Science and Co-Investigator John Davis from ATMC were awarded $110,000 on their proposal "Vessel
Detection System - New Bedford ITS Deployment" from the IBI Group. Award period: 3/1/2009 to 12/31/2009.
- Marguerite Zarrillo from Physics was awarded $20,000 on her proposal "Transit Management System - New Bedford ITS Deployment" from the IBI Group. Award period: 3/1/2009 to 12/31/2009.
- "Selection of Pavement Preservation Strategies" for the Town of Wellesley; Walaa Mogawer (Civil & Environmental Engineering)
- "Carbon nanotube deformation sensors" for the NSF; Vijay Chalivendra (Mechanical Engineering): more
- "High-Speed Digital Printing" for MA Executive Office of Energy & Environmental Affairs; Qinguo Fan (Materials & Textiles)
- "Simulation of Giant Molecular Clouds"; Robert Fisher (Physics): more
- John Buck from the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department was awarded $337,288 on his proposal "Stochastic Eigennalysis for Adaptive Array Processing" from the Office of Naval Research. Award dates: 1/1/2009 to 9/30/2011.
- Jong Ping Hsu from the Physics Department was awarded $16,500 on his proposal "Semi-Quantum Computer Transition Between Classical and Quantum Mechanics" from Z Technology. Award dates: 1/1/2009 to 12/31/2011.
- Sankha Bhowmick from Mechanical Engineering was awarded $32,950 from Radiant Research LLC on his Tonsil Thermal Therapy proposal.
Award dates: 5/17/2009 to 12/31/2009.
COE Faculty Cluster Grants for new collaborations.
Each runs for 2 years with a budget of $25,000 per year
- "Bio And Environmental Advanced Materials Cluster" led by Sankha Bhowmick: more
- "Smart Autonomous Fault-Tolerant Environments (SAFE)" led by Ramprasad Balasubramanian: more
- "Development and characterization of an innovative material for artificial bone replacements" led by Vijaya Chalivendra: more
Research Information for Faculty
Major Areas of Research
Faculty & Staff
No events upcoming.