WHAT IS A RESUME?
A resume is a one or two page summary of your skills, acomplishments, experiences, and education designed to capture a prospective employer's interest. The purpose of a resume is to secure an interview. It is the primary tool of your co-op job search and may take several drafts to prepare effectively. For more information, click on resumes and get writing - remember, put your best foot forward!
Need help with action words? Want to know the competencies sought by employers? What are the 10 "hottest" skills any major can acquire? How do you acquire competencies? Click on getting started and find out what employers are looking for.
The following resume format will be used by all co-op students. It is important that you follow the resume format and include the headings that are outlined in the guide.
You can up-load your resume into PlacePro when the resume is complete. The Co-op Office will approve the resume prior to "release" to employers via PlacePro. Please proofread and critique your resume! The Career Resource Center offers assistance with resume writing.
What does "UP-LOAD" mean?
Up-loading is taking the resume that you created (e.g. in MS Word, Works, etc.) and saving from your hard-drive, disk, network, etc. and loading onto your PlacePro account. The recommended format to use is MICROSOFT WORD.
If you plan to up-load your resume onto PlacePro, the following steps must be completed:
1. Click on the "Documents" tab at the top of the screen. Look to the left-hand side of the screen and click the tab labeled "My Documents." There is an option to use "Upload a New Document."
2. Under "Upload a New Document:", click the "Browse..." button.
3. A "Choose file" box will appear.
4. Choose your resume from wherever you have located on your PC or Mac (e.g. Desktop, C:drive, Floppy,etc.)
5. Once you have your resume highlighted, click on the "Open" button of the "Choose file" box.
6. Again under "Upload a New Document:", click the "Upload" button.
7. You will see the progress bar on the right. Once this is finished, PlacePro will list your resume under "Documents on File:".
8. You have completed uploading your resume on PlacePro!
9. Click the "General" tab at the top of hte screen to return to your PlacePro homepage.
The Student PlacePro Guide can be found under "Online Forms" in PlacePro.