Need-Based Financial Aid

Students requesting need-based financial assistance must complete and mail the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form is available in local libraries and high schools, also the Financial Aid Services Office, Foster Administration Building (phone 508-999-8632), where the members of the staff are happy to answer questions and offer other forms of help. Some applicants for aid are selected for verification; those selected will be required to submit documentation in support of their application and/or aid award. Please note that outside resources including tuition and fee exemptions can affect other aid, including loans.

Early application for financial aid is definitely encouraged. The FAFSA should be mailed by February 15 for the fall semester and September 15 for spring semester entry. The Financial Aid Office will process applications throughout the school year for any available funds; however, qualified students who mail the FAFSA by the recommended dates will receive priority consideration. Students need to reapply for financial aid each year.

To qualify for assistance, a graduate student must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree program. Awards are calculated according to the student's course load, whether half-time or full-time, by criteria established in the graduate academic regulations. Students receiving financial assistance will need to notify Financial Aid Services of any changes in their registration or enrollment status, and are advised to consult the Financial Aid Services promptly about any anticipated changes that might affect their aid eligibility. Only students who have received formal, degree-seeking admission to the university are eligible to receive university financial aid.

Students who withdraw from the university before 60% of the semester is completed will have their Federal financial aid eligibility recalculated in direct proportion to the length of the enrollment. The percentage of time the student remained enrolled is that stud-ent's percentage of dispersible aid for the semester. A student who remains enrolled beyond the 60% point earns all aid for the period. Withdrawal is recorded by the Office of the University Registrar in accordance with UMass Dartmouth withdrawal policies. More complete information is available from the Financial Aid office or web site.

To qualify for federally funded programs (Federal Work-Study, Perkins Loan, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loan), students must be citizens, or permanent residents, of the United States; have a valid social security number; be registered with selective service if required, and sign a statement of educational purpose. Please note that financial aid funds are not disbursed to one's account until after the drop/add period. If you are expecting a refund, you will not receive a check until late September for the fall semester and late February for the spring semester. Please plan accordingly.

Reasonable Academic Progress for Financial Aid Eligibility In order to maintain eligibility for financial aid, students must be in good academic standing with the University and be making satisfactory academic progress; students should consult the graduate academic regulations of the institution. The following minimum schedule of academic credits must be completed for a graduate student to maintain eligibility for university financial aid:

Academic years completed Number credits successfully completed
1 9
2 18
3 27
4 36

Satisfactory financial aid progress standards may be waived for students who can demonstrate mitigating circumstances, such as extraordinary physical, psychological, or medical problems. Each case will be reviewed, as appropriate, by the Director of Financial Aid

Contact Info:

Graduate Studies Office
Apply Now
Apply Now
Phone: 508.999.8604 • Fax: 508-999-8183