The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth distinguishes itself as a vibrant public university actively engaged in personalized teaching and innovative research, and acting as an intellectual catalyst for regional and global economic, social, and cultural development.
Within a climate that is inclusive, open, and diverse, UMass Dartmouth will be the university of choice for students seeking high quality liberal arts and science programs as well as professional academic programs that build a foundation for civic responsibility, individual skills, and professional success.
UMass Dartmouth will distinguish itself by providing a personalized academic environment where the scholarly research and creative activities of faculty and graduate students are interwoven with the undergraduate experience.
UMass Dartmouth aspires to create additional Masters and Doctoral programs, with commensurate support, in addition to enhanced technological capabilities for the delivery of our educational and outreach programs.
Strategic Plan - Goals and Objectives
These goal statements flow from the Mission and Vision. They articulate the major direction for the University in the next eight years. The objectives provide more detailed approaches to the achievement of these goals. Each objective will be further developed into time-sensitive activities.
- The University is recognized for its excellent undergraduate and graduate programs that integrate innovative teaching/learning strategies and prepare students for advancement in the twenty-first century environment. Objectives:
- Support and nurture quality core programs (undergraduate and graduate)
- Infuse experiential learning activities into all majors
- Evaluate outcomes for the general education program
- Expand faculty knowledge and utilization of innovative and diverse teaching strategies.
- Integrate co-curricular activities into student's learning experience.
- Continue to engage in external review of programs by formal accreditation bodies and/or or peer-review activities.
- Expand scholarship and professional development of faculty and staff.
- Support life-long learning efforts for faculty and staff.
- Create a spirit of connectedness, collaboration, and commitment among faculty, students, staff, and administrators.
- Develop research-mentoring support for undergraduate, graduate students and junior faculty.
- Communicate values of respect and service.
- Reward excellence in the provision of service to the campus constituents.
- Communicate achievements both internally and externally.
- Partner with regional entities to enrich student-learning activities.
- Encourage student involvement in volunteer activities that benefit local communities and agencies.
- Engage in public policy decision-making at regional and state levels.
- Inform the Commonwealth's business and legislative bodies about the intellectual capital of our students and faculty.
- Develop liaisons with local communities.
- Diversify program offerings to meet the needs of traditional, adult, international, part-time, commuting, and occasional students.
- Accommodate learning needs of students in other than degree program offerings (e.g. certificate, personal growth, skill mastery)
- Recruit students from all sectors of the population
- Implement strong student services that address the needs of the variety of students in the university.
- Secure required technology to support new teaching methods and students.
- Revise current data models to clearly illustrate the variety of enrollments in all sectors of the university
- Complete and implement the facilities master plan.
- Develop a comprehensive safety and disaster plan for the campus
- Plan for the renewal of faculty lines as faculty retire
- Evaluate future needs for teaching, scholarship, and student service facilities that respond to the variety of learners and activities.
- Assure library holdings and electronic information systems are current and meeting the needs of learners.
- Continually monitor and upgrade technological infrastructure and services.
- Develop communication systems that inform the campus and external audiences of activities and opportunities.
- Increase fund-raising activities.
- UPC is an established group that reviews and updates the strategic plan on an on-going basis.
- Communicate progress on annual strategies toward goals to the University community.
- Each unit's goals and objectives are aligned with the Universities goals.
- Strategic goals are reflected in budget allocations.